Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill has acknowledged Stormont’s public health messaging capacity was undermined by controversy around Bobby Storey’s funeral.
She said she regrets that large numbers attended the veteran republican’s funeral in June.
Ms O’Neill was among those who attended, despite Covid-19 restrictions.
Other parties said their credibility was undermined.
Ms O’Neill told RTÉ News she hopes the practice of the first and deputy first ministers sharing a platform on pandemic policy issues can be restored for a challenging winter.
First Minister and DUP leader Arlene Foster suspended her practice of hosting a joint news conference with Ms O’Neill when delivering Covid-19 updates.
Last night, Ms O’Neill acknowledged Stormont’s public health messaging capacity had been undermined by the row.
She told RTÉ News : “It wasn’t my intention this would happen, but it did, I accept this and I regret this is the case.
“I accept that we have not been able to deliver clear messaging in the format that was the practice before this controversy.”
Could Stormont’s leaders now return to the podium?
Analysis by BBC News NI political reporter Jayne McCormack
The timing of this admission by Michelle O’Neill makes it more significant.
It comes just a day after health officials delivered the starkest warning yet about the latest rise in Covid-19 cases, with Stormont ministers set to decide which restrictions to re-impose later today.
Arlene Foster and Michelle O’Neill have not stood side-by-side at the press podiums for more than two months but this seems directed at bringing an end to that stalemate.
It is early days but given the DUP leader’s insistence that she would not resume the briefings with Ms O’Neill until there was a “recognition” that the credibility of the executive’s messaging had been breached, this might just be enough.
Some within the DUP may welcome it; others still won’t feel it’s what they had called for.
But it’s the party leadership that will have the final say.
‘Not currently investigating’
Meanwhile, the DUP has criticised the Police Ombudsman for “a failure” to investigate how the PSNI handled the funeral.
NI’s chief constable said police had forwarded a complaint from a member of the public regarding police actions leading up to the funeral on 30 June.
But the Police Ombudsman said it was not currently investigating the issue.
“We have not received any complaints from anyone with direct experience of the policing of a funeral in relation to Covid regulations, and are not currently investigating this issue,” said a spokesperson.
DUP MLA and NI Policing Board member Joanne Bunting said it was “a weak defence for not acting”.
Following a meeting with Police Ombudsman Marie Anderson on Tuesday, the East Belfast representative said: “The PSNI must be held fully accountable not just for proactive steps its officers take but for clear failures to act when public safety is at stake.”
She said there was “deep unease” among many of those who elected her over “the Police Ombudsman’s failure to provide scrutiny of PSNI inaction against large republican funerals which breached lockdown restrictions”.
“This is in contrast to the commissioned PONI investigation into police practice which led to the issuing of fixed penalty notices at Black Lives Matter protests during the same period,” she added.
“Such inconsistency does little to restore confidence in the role or added value of the Police Ombudsman’s Office.”
Following the funeral, Chief Constable Simon Byrne requested an external senior police officer oversee an investigation into potential breaches of Covid-19 restrictions.
Mark Webster, Cumbria Constabulary’s deputy chief constable, was appointed to oversee and direct the PSNI’s investigation into potential breaches of Covid-19 restrictions and also help review events leading up to the date of the funeral.