Omid Scobie’s decision to piggyback the release of his new Prince Harry and Meghan Markle book on the King’s 75th birthday and the sixth and final series of The Crown was branded ‘deplorable’ today.
Experts have also said that the Sussexes’ favoured royal reporter’s new book Endgame already threatens a potential thawing in relations between the King and his youngest son.
Royal journalist and author Phil Dampier told MailOnline: ‘We all know that Scobie is their mouthpiece and he gets his information directly or indirectly from the Sussexes, so anything which is hurtful to Charles, Camilla or William and Kate, will just make things much worse. Let’s put it this way – I can’t see Harry and Meghan coming over for a family Christmas’.
He added: ‘The King has always left the door open for his son and will continue to do so. But in reality if there are more serious allegations in Scobie’s book it will set back any chance of a reconciliation’.
Harry is believed to have telephoned his father on his 75th birthday on Tuesday – and they have reportedly agreed to chat next week. The Duchess of Sussex is also said to have spoken to her father-in-law from their home in California while the couple’s children Archie, four, and Lilibet, two, recorded a video of themselves singing happy birthday to their grandfather.
But today royal courtiers are said to be furious over the claims made by Harry and Meghan’s biographer Omid Scobie, who alleges that the Prince William ignored the Duke of Sussex’s calls as he raced to be at the Queen’s bedside in Scotland in September last year. Mr Scobie , who has been friendly with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and co-wrote their biography Finding Freedom, could be cut loose by the Sussexes and their circle, it has been claimed.
Prince Harry (pictured, centre with his wife Meghan at the Queen’s funeral) has spoken to his father this week and they reportedly plan to speak again in the coming days
Mr Scobie claims that Prince William feels that he has ‘lost Harry and doesn’t want to know this version of him’
In an excerpt of his latest book, Endgame, he also alleges that that Prince Harry was ‘kept in the dark’ about the Queen’s health in the hours before she died
Elizabeth Debicki playing Princess Diana with boyfriend Dodi Al-Fayed by her side in the new series of The Crown, out today
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams said: ‘The timing of this is utterly deplorable. I think the Sussexes will have to think hard about whether or not Scobie is their spokesman or their friend. It will be interesting to see if Harry and Meghan will still want to be associated with Scobie after this’.
Omid Scobie’s claims from his new book, Endgame
- William ignored Harry when he asked how he was planning to get to Scotland;
- Eventually, he booked a £30,000 charter flight to Aberdeenshire from Luton;
- Charles told him to come without Meghan. Source claims she ‘wasn’t wanted’;
- Harry had ‘no idea’ about what was going on in Balmoral when his plane took off;
- But ‘sources’ briefed newspapers that Charles had personally informed son;
- William believes Harry has been ‘brainwashed by an army of therapists’.
He added: ‘Of course, the fact that it’s been leaked to People magazine makes one wonder what’s been going on behind the scenes’.
Royal insiders have torn into Mr Scobie’s claims that Prince William ignored his brother’s calls as the late Queen lay dying in Balmoral last year.
Royal courtiers are said to be furious over the claims made by Harry and Meghan’s biographer Omid Scobie, who alleges that the Prince of Wales ignored the Duke of Sussex’s calls as he raced to be at the Queen’s bedside in Scotland in September last year.
A Royal insider told the Mirror: ‘It appears no matter what happens behind closed doors, even in a time of such pain and grief, that where the Royal Family are concerned it will one day emerge.
‘Nothing is off limits with William and Kate appearing to be this author’s number one target. It only takes a few months for the knives to come out again and the wounds to be opened up’.
In an excerpt of his latest book, Endgame, Mr Scobie alleges that Prince Harry was ‘kept in the dark’ about the Queen’s health in the hours before she died, and that Prince William feels that he has ‘lost Harry and doesn’t want to know this version of him’.
Mr Scobie, who previously released a biography on the Sussexes titled ‘Finding Freedom,’ said Harry, 39, and his 42-year-old wife Meghan had ‘no idea’ the Royal Family were preparing for the Queen’s death last year.
Royal courtiers are said to be furious over the claims made by Harry and Meghan’s biographer Omid Scobie , who alleges that the Prince of Wales ignored the Duke of Sussex ‘s calls as he raced to be at the bedside of the Queen (pictured) in Scotland in September last year
According to the Mirror, Mr Scobie has said there was ‘no proof’ King Charles called his youngest son during the Queen’s death
In Endgame, Mr Scobie recounts how the Sussexes had visited the UK for a series of engagements in September 2022 when the palace announced that Queen Elizabeth had been advised by her doctors to rest.
He writes: ‘By the next morning, the Sussexes had no idea that Buckingham Palace was already planning for the Queen’s final hours and the first days of the monarchy’s new era — until the duke’s phone started ringing. An unknown number. He usually ignored those.’
Meghan told her husband to pick up the phone and he accepted the call ‘just before it stopped’, the author wrote.
He continues: ‘Harry hadn’t spoken to his father much that year, but this was not the time for any father-and-son tension. Charles told him he and Camilla were about to leave Dumfries House for Balmoral, where Princess Anne was already by the Queen’s side. He told Harry to make his way to Scotland immediately.’
Harry sent a text message to his brother William asking how he and Kate planned to Scotland and whether they could travel together but got no response, Mr Scobie claims.
He was later told Harry had managed to secure a flight with his uncles Prince Andrew and Prince Edward.
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle with King Charles and Queen Camilla at the late Queen’s funeral last year. Harry had reportedly not spoken to his father for a long time
Omid Scobie is set to use his new book to launch a salvo of attacks on the Royal Family
An emotional Harry travels in an official car to Balmoral after the Queen’s death was announced to the nation
The Prince and Princess of Wales join the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for a walkabout at Windsor to meet mourners after the Queen’s death in September 2022
‘It was upsetting to witness,’ Mr Scobie claims he was told by a source close to the Sussexes. ‘[Harry] was completely by himself on this.’
Mr Scobie alleges that Palace ‘sources’ briefed certain newspapers that Charles had personally shared the news of the Queen’s illness with his son. He quoted a friend of the duke who said this left Harry ‘crushed’.
The journalists makes fresh claims about the damaged relationship between William and Harry.
The author also suggests William and Harry’s relationship is beyond repair because the Prince of Wales sees his brother as a ‘defector’
And in the extract shared with People, he claims ‘there is no going back’ for the brothers and ‘absolutely nothing has changed’ since the Duke of Sussex released Spare earlier this year.
A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace refused to comment on Endgame, due to be released on November 28, when approached by MailOnline.
The latest bombshell accusations come just hours after Harry ad his father shared ‘cordial’ 75th birthday call.
Harry is believed to have phoned his father on his special day yesterday to wish him Happy Birthday – in a call thought to be the estranged royals’ first phone chat in six months.
King Charles and Harry are understood to have had minimal contact for months, particularly since the release of Harry’s tell-all memoir Spare, published in January, and a Netflix series, which was released the month prior to that.
Meghan Markle is also said to have spoken to her father-in-law to pass on her wishes from California. And the couple’s children Archie and Lilibet recorded a video of themselves singing happy birthday to their grandfather, the Telegraph newspaper reported.
The report claimed Charles and Harry will speak again next week after their call marked a ‘shift’ in tone and a ‘turning point’ between the pair.
Prince Harry and Prince William on July 1, 2021 during an unveiling of a statue of their mother at Kensington Palace
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were not spoken to about Charles’ party by Buckingham Palace, a spokesman for the pair previously said
King Charles celebrating his 75th birthday alongside Queen Camilla – together they officially launched The Coronation Food Project at The South Oxfordshire Food and Education Alliance
Charles was presented with a cake at Highgrove House in honour of his birthday
Harry and Meghan previously said they had ‘no contact’ from Buckingham Palace about an invitation to Charles’ 75th evening birthday event.
The Sunday Times reported that Prince Harry had turned down an invitation to the birthday bash.
But a source close to the Sussexes told MailOnline they were not invited to Charles’s party.
‘They had not received any invitation and were unaware of any celebrations until the stories came out,’ the insider previously said, adding: ‘I’m sure the Duke will find a way to reach out privately to wish His Majesty a happy birthday like he has always done’.
Buckingham Palace previously refused to discuss the King’s plans.
Buckingham Palace refused to comment on reports the father and son spoke for the King’s birthday and are due to speak again next week when contacted by MailOnline.
Prince William and Kate are seen leaving the event after celebrating the King’s birthday
Looking effortlessly elegant, Zara Tindall, pictured with husband Mike, also attended
London’s Piccadilly Lights were lit up with a birthday message for Charles and the tourist attraction also displayed a quote from his Big Issue article.
MailOnline has also contacted representatives for Prince Harry for comment
Meanwhile the Prince and Princess of Wales were seen enjoying a late night out as they departed Clarence House close to midnight after King Charles’s glittering 75th birthday party last night.
They were joined at the monarch’s birthday celebration by his niece Princess Beatrice, Princess Margaret’s daughter Lady Sarah Chatto and Princess Anne’s daughter Zara Tindall and her husband Mike Tindall.
Lady Susan Hussey, 84, the former lady-in-waiting to the late Queen Elizabeth II, was also in attendance, sporting an elegant blue shimmering gown, while Jools Holland also made an appearance.
Other family members attending Charles’ birthday event also included the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, and David Armstrong-Jones, the 2nd Earl of Snowdon, the son of the late Princess Margaret and Antony Armstrong-Jones.