Urgent warning to houmous lovers as popular brand sold in Tesco is recalled over fears it may contain PLASTIC
- A batch of houmous is thought to be contaminated with small pieces of plastic
- The Food Standards Agency fears the plastic in the dip could be choking hazard
A brand of houmous sold in supermarkets such as Tesco is being urgently recalled over fears it might contain small pieces of plastic.
The manufacturers of Ramona’s Heavenly Original Humous have issued a ‘do not eat warning’ after identifying the ‘possible presence’ of small pieces of plastic in a batch of the dip.
Food Standards Agency (FSA) said the risk ‘presents a possible choking hazard and makes this product unsafe to eat’.
The 500g pot of Ramona’s Heavenly Original Humous with a use-by date of July 28 2023 is affected. It costs around £3. No other products or batch codes are affected by this issue
What to do if someone is choking
- Encourage the person to keep coughing, and remove any obvious obstructions from their mouth. If that fails, give five sharp blows to the back, between the shoulder blades. Check their mouth after each one.
- If they are still choking, stand behind them and put your arms around their waist above the belly button. Clench one fist and grasp it with your other hand. Pull sharply – and upwards – five times. Check their mouth each time.
- Call 999 if this fails. Continue giving five sharp blows followed by five sharp pulls. Start CPR if the person becomes unresponsive.
Source: St John Ambulance
Only the 500g pot of Ramona’s Heavenly Original Humous with a use-by date of July 28 2023 is affected. It costs around £3.
No other products or batch codes are affected by this issue.
The product is also sold in Sainsbury’s, Morrisons as well as on Ocado.
Manufacturers Ramona’s said that, as a ‘precautionary measure’, they are asking all customers who bought this batch of houmous to not eat it.
Ramona’s is instead urging customers to return the dip to their nearest store where they will receive a full refund without needing to show a receipt.
The company said: ‘We are really sorry about this but delivering the best quality product is our number one priority and we cannot take the risk of you finding plastic in the product.’
Small pieces of plastic in food are a choking hazard for both children and adults.
Choking happens when someone’s airway suddenly gets blocked, this can be partially or fully, but enough so they can’t breathe properly.
If an adult’s airways are blocked, they may be able to clear the blockage themselves, the NHS has said.
However, if coughing doesn’t solve the issue, back blows and abdominal thrusts can help. If these do not work, you should call 999 immediately.
The NHS warns that you should not give abdominal thrusts to babies under one or to pregnant women.